Skip to main content

Homeschooling Forms



Notice of Intent to Homeschool

The parent of any child being homeschooled in Nevada must file a Notice of Intent to Homeschool with the local School District.  A separate Notice of Intent to Homeschool application must be filled out for each child that you intend to Homeschool and returned to the Douglas County School District Office located at 1638 Mono Avenue in Minden. This must be done no later than 10 days after the child has been formally withdrawn from the public school system, or no later than 30 days after establishing residency in Nevada. The Notice of Intent does not need to be re-filed unless the name or address of the parent or child changes, in which case a new notice must be filed by the parent within 30 days.  By signing the application, the parent is acknowledging that they have control or charge of the child and the legal right to direct the education of the child. 

Educational Plan

As the educator for your child, you must provide an educational plan with the Notice of Intent to Homeschool.  The educational plan must include goals for your child in the subject areas of English language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies, including history, geography, economics and government as appropriate for the age and level of skill of the child as determined by the parent.

Receipt of Notice of Intent to Homeschool

Upon the School District's receipt of the Notice of Intent to Homeschool, including the educational plan, the District shall provide written acknowledgement to the parent. This acknowledgement shall be deemed proof of compliance with Nevada's compulsory school attendance law NRS 392.070.  Receipts are valid for 15 years for each child for whom you submit an application.

Participation in Programs and Activities

In accordance with NRS 392.074, a homeschool child is allowed to participate in public school programs and activities.  The parent/guardian must submit a Homeschool Request for Participation in Programs and Activities to the school principal of the school where the student would be zoned to attend and this must be submitted for each year of participation.  

Participation in Exams

The District allows homeschooled children to take any college entrance exams offered, including the PSAT and the SAT/ACT Exams. Homeschooled children are eligible for the National Merit Scholarship, as well as, the Millennium Scholarship

For additional information you may contact us at  (775) 782-7179.